Music To Open Your Mind 2016
Using Music To Fight The Stimga Surrounding Mental Health Issues.
The 10th annual “Music to Open Your Mind” (MtOYM) family festival is on Sunday, 20 March 2016.
Music is chosen as a theme due to its capacity to attract people, and to promote the message that lifestyle avenues such as music can help mental health.
MtOYM is a major community event designed to raise public awareness of mental health and reduce stigma. It is a free family concert and market day, with live music, market and food stalls and free children’s activities.
MtOYM is supported by more than 30 mental health service providers, which provide support and program information about mental health issues and services on the day.
MtOYM is a unique campaign, not replicated elsewhere in WA.
The event aims to:
- Promote public awareness of mental health issues
- Celebrate the work done by mental health services
- Acknowledge people with mental health problems as valuable members of the community
- Support families, friends and carers of people with mental health problems
- Provide information for people wishing to connect with mental health service providers.
Since the event started in 2006, attendees have grown from about 100 to more than 3000.
Attendees have said the event improved their understanding of mental health issues and services, and reduced fear and ignorance on the issue.
The event has won numerous awards including:
- WA Health Award for Excellence in Health Promotion and Early Intervention,
- WA Good Outcomes Award for Mental Health Promotion and Mental Illness Prevention;
- Silver award at the Australian and New Zealand Mental Health Service Achievement Awards for Mental Health Promotion or Mental Illness Prevention.
Come join in on the fun, there will be music, food stands, entertainment for the kids and music more!